This is a very positive article and the wider police family will recognise the issues and Mike’s suggestions.
This is a written version of a talk I gave last night, where I had fifteen minutes to summarise my thoughts on the overall topic of policing and mental health. It’s a while since I had such a short period in which to condense my thoughts and it was a useful exercise in rooting out the extraneous junk from my mind!
If you look around the world at adverse incidents that cause us to discuss the police roll in mental health issues, you see a range of problems:
- The extent to which the police are relied upon as first- responders
- Problems in the use of force:
- Restraint related deaths
- Fatal police shootings
- Controversial use of things like Taser
- Normalisation of the police as a de facto crisis service
- Criminalisation of vulnerable people:
- Prosecution almost entirely for the purposes of accessing clinical services
- Incarceration in prison where upstream interventions would…
View original post 1,559 more words